Wet carpet cleaning

Why Is It Dangerous to Still Have A Bad Smell After Water Damage?

Water damage can be a stressful situation, but it’s important to remember that you don’t have to deal with the aftermath alone. From mold growth and lingering odors, there are many possible issues arising from water damage that require immediate attention.

And while some may seem minor, ignoring them could lead to further problems down the road — including health risks for your family or loved ones. Here’s what you need to know about why it’s dangerous  and why you need to hire the right wet carpet cleaning in Melbourne.

It Could Be a Sign of Mold Growth

Mold growth is a serious issue, and it can be dangerous. Mold spores are present in almost every home, but they will grow only when there is moisture available to them. If you don’t want to deal with the negative health effects of mold growth, it’s important that you take care of your water damage as soon as possible and reduce any chance for it to happen again.

This is because mold can cause allergic reactions in some people, especially those who have asthma or other respiratory conditions such as allergies or eczema. If you notice that you are having allergy symptoms after a flood or other form of water damage in your home, then try to clean up the area as quickly as possible so that no further damage occurs from exposure to potentially harmful molds.

carpet water damage Melbourne

Why do carpets smell when wet? 

The smell is caused by bacteria.

The smell comes from the water, which has absorbed into the carpet fibers and has allowed for bacteria to grow. The smell that you smell is actually the bacteria itself, so if your carpet smells bad after flooding, it means that there is a lot of bacteria in it.

Bacteria are not harmful in themselves, but they are responsible for producing odors that can make people sick or cause allergies. When carpets get wet and stay damp for a long time (for example after flooding), then this gives an ideal environment for mold growth: mold spores in air will come into contact with moisture on wet surfaces such as walls or ceilings; thus growing mold colonies on these surfaces can occur when there are high humidity levels such as during rainstorms.

Why a Lingering Smell After Water Damage Just Isn’t Safe?

While it may be possible to get rid of the smell after water damage, there are some risks that you should be aware of. First, mold growth can occur if there is standing water in your home. Mold can cause respiratory problems and allergies, so it’s important to get rid of it before it becomes a problem.

Second, odors from contaminants such as gasoline or cleaning products may cause short-term health issues like headaches and nausea. Thirdly, some odors can be toxic themselves; for example, many fabrics have chemicals that release unpleasant smells when wetted (such as polyester).

Does a wet carpet smell pose a health risk?

  • Does a wet carpet smell pose a health risk?
  • The smell of a wet carpet can indicate the presence of mold.

Mold is dangerous to your health. It can cause allergies, respiratory problems and infections that are serious enough to require hospitalization. Mold is generally not contagious, but it’s not something you want to bring into your home. If you see any signs of mold growth or have questions about whether there may be mold growing in your house after water damage, contact us today!


Water damage can be devastating, and it’s important to handle it quickly. If you do notice a lingering odor, it’s time to call in the wet carpet cleaning in Melbourne professionals. It may be difficult to get rid of that smell on your own, but they have the tools and experience needed to get the job done right away.